Tristan the Rabbit

Beloved pet rabbit Tristan recovers from collapsed lung

A beloved pet rabbit who survived a serious health scare caused by a collapsed lung was well enough to go home just two days later, thanks to the swift care provided by a leading vets in Yorkshire. Five-year-old Tristan was admitted to Calder Vets’ animal hospital in Dewsbury suffering from a sudden onset of breathing

Chinchilla’s nightmare gnashers are cut down to size

A chinchilla is back at home happily chomping away on his food once more after a leading vet practice in Yorkshire carried out an operation on his overgrown gnashers. Calder Vets, which has 12 branches across south and west Yorkshire, treated Gizmo, who is approaching his 12th birthday, after his top teeth became overgrown causing

Holly the guinea pig

Calder Vets help Guinea Pig Holly lose a stone

A beloved pet Guinea Pig who was finding trips to the toilet an eye-wateringly painful experience is happy and healthy again, thanks to an incredibly intricate operation carried out at Calder Vets. Expert staff at our animal hospital in Dewsbury solved the life-threatening condition by using tiny mosquito forceps to remove a large stone from

Paws for thought and protect pets at Christmas

We’re warning pet owners to be aware of household hazards which could affect their animals at Christmas in a bid to avoid an emergency trip to surgery. The festive period can present a minefield of potential issues for pets as homes are decorated and a range of food and drink is often accessible. Among the

Emergency vets save Kaiser

Emergency vets save beloved German Shepherd who choked on toy ball

The owners of a beloved German Shepherd have spoken of their relief after emergency vets saved their pet from choking on his favourite toy ball. Kaiser only survived because he’d previously chewed away a rope which was attached to the ball, leaving a hole in the middle that allowed him to gasp in air after

Jess the Jack Russell - Calder Vets

We’re bowled over by the breathtaking feats of Jess the Jack Russell!

Rebecca Brookes was in the middle of an asthma attack, coughing uncontrollably and gasping for breath when Jess, her beloved Jack Russell, came running to the rescue. ‘Amazing Jess’, as she’s now known, had realised the danger and raced off to fetch Rebecca’s inhaler before delivering it to her distressed owner. It was a moment

our guide to protecting pets’ teeth

Vet’s bitesize guide to protecting pets’ teeth

It’s important to take care of your pet’s oral health – which is why we offer free dental advice and urge you to be vigilant when looking after your pet’s teeth. Introducing dental checks and scale and polish treatments into your pet’s routine is vital to ensure they stay fit and healthy. We welcomed two

Alfie the Guinea Pig

Guinea pig goes under the knife for life-saving op

Vets in Dewsbury had to put their surgery skills to the test to perform a life-saving operation on a tiny guinea pig. Little Alfie, a five-year-old guinea pig, was taken to Calder Vets’ 24-hour Dewsbury animal hospital after his owner became concerned that his usual array of squeaks and squeals had taken on more anguished

Gemma Kilby is advising pet owners about the heatwave

Protect pets from the heat as heatwave continues

We’ve recently introduced free heatwave appointments with our nurses to help pet owners keep their animals safe in the heat as forecasters predict the sizzling summer will continue across the UK. With the sun shining across the country and temperatures set to stay high over the coming weeks, Calder Vets is encouraging people to make