A beloved pet rabbit who survived a serious health scare caused by a collapsed lung was well enough to go home just two days later, thanks to the swift care provided by a leading vets in Yorkshire.
Five-year-old Tristan was admitted to Calder Vets’ animal hospital in Dewsbury suffering from a sudden onset of breathing difficulty and, because he is so small, it was very difficult to see what was wrong on X-rays or ultrasound.
So, under the watchful eye of hospital director, Natalie McQuire, Tristan underwent an emergency CT scan to get to the bottom of the problem.
Tristan was placed in a transparent oxygen chamber for the procedure, meaning Natalie and her team could obtain the images they needed without any anaesthetic or sedation.
Natalie said: “The CT scan showed a pneumothorax – a collapsed right lung, which was surrounded by air. We were able to drain the air to allow the lung to re-inflate and help Tristan’s breathing.
“We also found a small amount of pus and it is likely the infection was the cause of the initial collapse.”
Tristan was placed on high doses of antibiotics and after another two days in hospital, he was well enough to go home.
His owner, Caitlin Summers, said: “We were really worried when Tristan was admitted, but with round-the-clock care, I was able to bring him home three days later.
“I have never known of a rabbit to develop a pneumothorax and I am so grateful to Natalie and all the Calder team for looking after him so well.”