Paws for thought and protect pets at Christmas

We’re warning pet owners to be aware of household hazards which could affect their animals at Christmas in a bid to avoid an emergency trip to surgery.

The festive period can present a minefield of potential issues for pets as homes are decorated and a range of food and drink is often accessible.

Among the items which present risks to pets at Christmas are ribbons on presents, tinsel, sharp tree needles, low-lying fairy lights, chestnuts and chocolates. Drink, too, can be dangerous and a traditional Christmas favourite, Baileys Irish Cream, can prove particularly dispiriting for animals.

Anna Gaughan, lead vet at Calder Vets, which is based in Dewsbury with 12 practices across Yorkshire, said: “Dogs will drink most forms of alcohol which has been left in glasses at Christmas parties or get-togethers, however, they do often seem to have a fondness for Baileys!

“The signs of ethanol intoxication are similar to those in humans – vomiting, depression, a lack of co-ordination, disorientation and drowsiness. Dogs in these conditions need warmth, rehydration and immediate nursing care.”

Other festive items which could cause harm to animals include plants such as mistletoe, poinsettia, holly and ivy which can all cause upset stomachs, while lilies can be very harmful to cats.

Grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats, while other poisonous festive foods include macadamia nuts, onions and mouldy foods such as walnuts, bread and cheese.

Anna said: “Christmas can often be a busy and quite chaotic time. You can help your pet cope with the chaos by keeping to their normal routine and if you are spending Christmas day with friend or family and your dog is going with you, take something which smells familiar to help them feel secure.

“We’d also recommend using a calming diffuser as with fireworks celebrations.

“In terms of household hazards, while tinsel and wrapping paper might be tempting for your pet to play with, just make sure they don’t eat it!”

For more information about possible household hazards for pets this Christmas, search for Calder Vets on Facebook.